Friday 8 March 2013

David Kawena: Heroes Collection.

After the highly sexualised work of Disney women from cartoon artist J Scott Campbell I thought I would begin a search for art based on the Disney men, thereby bringing my articles on Disney to a nice close. I searched and searched and searched until I found artist David Kawena.
Kawena's work does not only focus on the Princes but also focuses on the forgotten characters too such as the Kronk from the Emperors new Groove (the only image that contains a form of colour). The work is very homoerotic to say the least and reminds me of the work by photographers Pierre et Gilles. There are some nice use of props that relates to the character such as Prince Adam holding a rose which is a clear reference to the film Beauty and the Beast.
My personal favourites is probably Eric from the Little Mermaid  and the first image of Adam from Beauty and the Beast. The shadowing looks gorgeous and the red of rose stands out nicely in the image without distracting you too much.

 Here is the series for you to enjoy

.


























No comments:

Post a Comment