Thursday 28 February 2013

J Scott Campbell

To begin my new blogger page I've decided to write my first post on comic book artist J Scott Campbell.
I was introduced to Mr Campbell's art last night and I'm already hooked at his mature portrayals of Disney Princesses. Most of the characters are posed seductively within the art work, inviting the male gaze. They are portrayed as objects rather than the subjects of art.  Within some of the images he tends to stick to one shade of colour and example of this would be "Goldilocks and three bears"
However are there are others which contain an array of colours such as the Tinkerbell image.

You can see most if his art on  his website


My favourite images are those of Mulan. Even though it's a piece of art and I understand that. She seems to be in control of the gaze. She invites the viewer to look. She wants us to look and she is control of who looks and who can't. She appears in a powerful position while the rest of the female characters appear in a vulnerable position. 
Some would suggest that the images are quite sordid, that they're meant to feed some form of fetish and some ways it's true but they give a new light to these characters. It breaks boundaries and that is what I like about them.
Campbell techniques and materials include Turquoise H Lead for softness and darkness, which provides a sketchy feel to his images. Has has also used HB lead and F Lead in the past. He also uses Berol Turquoise sharpener to maintain sharpness.

Here are my favourite images from Fairytale Fantasies collection
















Instagram: fashionphotoandfilm
Tumblr: fashionphotoandfilm.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment