Sunday 3 March 2013

Anime + Photography

I love a good anime and I consider myself an avid follower of manga too. My absolute favourites being Togainu no Chi and Viewfinder. I've  also read a variety of Mangas,  ranging from violent mangas like Ichi the Killer to Yaoi mangas like Crystal Harem. I've also watched many animes such as Howls Moving Castle and also small series such as Junjou Romantica. However I have never seen the combination between anime and photography (which is my love, my passion) until these images popped up on my tumblr dashboard.


They're amazing images. Full of pretty and vivid colours, just like an anime. The images make you question what is happening and what you're seeing within the screen. Not only do you question the models pose within the images but you also question what is happening in the manga.
Lets you the top image as an example.
As you can see the model is posing and has been placed in a bending position. Because you cannot see the expression on her face, you don't really know why she's in the position she's in, so, as the viewer you accept that it's just a pose and that nothing will happen to her or that the pose suggests something will happen to her. Then you look at the TV screen and you see the young anime girl's face and because you see her expression, you as the viewer begin to question what's happening to her. Why is she crying? Is something bad about to happen to her? You do feel some form of sympathy and worry for the young anime girl within the image.

In terms of structure of the young model and the animated girl everything is lined pretty well. The photographer has succeeded well in lining  the models body along with that of the anime girl.

Here are the rest of the images from the series








Unfortunately I have no idea who the photographer (Once I find out I'll write his/her name on the post).
This project could be developed in many ways with more than one model, I would like to see a series where the model is wearing a similar outfit to the character. I think that would make an interesting piece. I would also like to see how the attitude towards the images would change if a male model was used instead of a female model.

No comments:

Post a Comment